Friday, October 3, 2008

The Debate and Congress

This will be my first two-part blog. There are two points I want to make this morning. One will be concerning the "debate" last night. The second deal with the congress of these United States.

So first...The Debate:

It was 8PM central time. The Dog House with Baddog had just ended on NowLive.com. I was ready to lay down and go to sleep. There was only one problem...my wife wanted to watch some of the VP Debate.

Now I will be honest. I don't generally subscribe to watching political debates. I see these people bloviate too much on the news already. Besides...if you are a democrat you are going to like what Senator Biden says and think that he won. If you are a republican you we see Governor Palin as the winner because you agree with what she says. So in most respects, what is the point of watching? These political debates are more about sound bites and giving the so called news media something to do then they are about the American people.

But, as I laid in bed all curled up in the covers I thought I heard something strange. It sounded like one of the candidates was actually disagreeing with the senior member of their ticket. Did I actually hear that or was I dreaming?

When I was listening to the news this morning I heard the commentators talking about Governor Palin disagreeing with John McCain on the question of drilling for oil in the ANWR. They were stating it in a kind of "how dare she" manner. Like a choice for VP should never disagree with the candidate for President. So I went to a website this morning and listened to the debate. I didn't watch it...I listened to it. Here was Joe Biden agreeing with everything that Barack Obama stands for. Now for the most part Sarah Palin did the same, but there was that part about drilling for oil where Governor Palin did say that she was still trying to change McCain's mind.

So on one hand we have Biden who agrees with everything that Obama's says even when there is clear evidence that he had changed his views since joining the ticket. On the other hand we have Palin stating that there were areas where she and McCain disagreed.

Now excuse me for bringing some logic into this political mess but let me point out something.

My wife and I have been married for over 35 years and I am here to tell you that she doesn't agree with me 100% of the time any more than I agree with her. But you know what? I want her to tell me when she doesn't agree with me. Her opinion matters to me. Her thoughts matter to me.

Now how long have Obama and Biden known each other? How long have McCain and Palin known each other? You cannot tell me that either Biden or Palin agree with 100% with the presidential candidate on their ticket. Folks that just ain't a gonna happen.

If Senator Biden wants to sit there and kiss Obama's ass on national TV during the debate, how do I know that he will speak his mind in those closed door meetings when the shit has hit the fan.

By the same token if Palin is willing to question the stance of McCain on national TV during a debate, I believe it shows that she is willing to lead should the need arise and is not afraid to speak her mind.

Nothing personal ya'll but that is who I want as a VP. I don't want a "yes" man or woman. I want someone who is willing to tell the president that he or she is an idiot if the situation warrants it. I want a VP that I know will speak their mind during those closed door meetings.

That is how I saw the debate.

Now on to point number 2...The Congress:

Now I know many people don't care for Foxnews. I look at the news from several different websites each morning and Foxnews is just one of them. I don't believe anyone should trust just one source for their news. All people have an agenda. That even includes those at Foxnews. They may be more fair and balanced than other outlets but that does not mean they don't have an agenda.

I noticed a video this morning of Bill O'Reilly interviewing Rep. Barney Frank. Now I know this was going to be fireworks and it does consist of a lot of screaming and yelling and even includes Mr. O'Reilly calling Rep. Frank a coward.

Now in some measure I have to agree with Mr. O'Reilly. Rep. Frank is a coward. But so are 433 other members of the House.

As I stated yesterday the only member of the US House of Representatives that has said that they had it wrong was Rep. Arthur Davis (D-AL).

As soon as the interview started Rep. Frank started in with the look at what I did or tried to do. This is the one fact that Mr. O'Reilly had totally correct. With members of the House or the Senate it is all about what I have done and how the other party caused all the problems.

Another example of why we are the American people need to send all 435 members of the House packing on November 4th.

No more of this bull about the democrats did this or the republicans did that. WE screwed up. WE were so partisan that we failed to work together to fix this problem. We are so into petty bickering that we allowed these crooks to screw "WE THE PEOPLE".

At the beginning of the interview Mr. O'Reilly stated that there is blame on both sides of the political isle. Mr. Frank could not even agree with that. With these people it is all about ME and not about WE.

Let's tell them all to take a hike out of Washington.

No comments: