Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's Not Logical

Those who know me well know that I am a Star Trek nut...Trekkie if you prefer. I even have the original Star Trek theme as my ring tone on my cell phone (it's true).

As I was looking at the morning news all I could hear was Mr Spock saying; "It's not logical, Captain." What is not logical you might ask? This BS that everyone in this country now has the right to say that we are offended.

Well guess what...I am offended at your being offended.

Something people living in this country had better come to realize is that at some point in your day you are going to be offended. There is not a darned thing you can do about it. Don't believe me? Let's just take a look at the latest rounds of "I Am Offended" that is in the news and see how things could play out. (Sounds like a new game show..."I Am Offended" here is your host Don Imus).

Do you folks realize that President-Elect Obama is planning on having someone say an invocation (that is prayer for you rednecks out there) at his inauguration? Now we have the atheists that are all up in arms over having an invocation and In God We Trust stamped on our currency (that means money). Okay, I think we can all agree that we cannot have it both ways. Either God is part of our society or God ain't. There is no middle of the road. Why? Because the atheist would never accept the middle of the road. Groups like that never will. So either they are offended because God remains a part of the great US of A or the Christian is offended because the right to religion has been taken away. Who wins? No one does. In fact we all loose.

You see, I am more concerned about the infringement of rights on individuals than I am about someone having to see the words In God We Trust on the dollar bill. Let's take the gay RIGHTS movement as an example. There are people out there who are being denied the basic rights of marriage or civil unions which fails to provide them with the same rights as hetero married couples. My wife is the one who decides my care if I am in an accident. My wife has the right to come see me in the hospital. That is not true for committed gay couples and that is infringing on their civil rights.

If you are an atheist and do not like in God We Trust on your cash then do not use cash. Use credit cards and debit cards. There is a way around your problem. You can chose not to believe in God and that hurts no one but yourself.

There are always going to be areas where we are offended. Even with what I said about gays and civil rights I am still offended when I see gay couples holding hands or kissing in public. But you see that is MY problem...not theirs. If I don't like to see it then I can find another restaurant or look the other way.

It's just like the old saying, don't like what's on the radio? Turn it off or change the damned channel.

Some of us need to change the channel.

No comments: