Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Santa: Pinhead or Patriot

Anyone who watches the O'Reilly Factor on Fox news will recognize the words in the title of this blog.

On Tuesday, December 9, 2008, Mr. O'Reilly had Santa as a patriot in his usual segment. While I can agree that Santa may be a patriot I have to wonder about Mr. O'Reilly. Or is it Santa?

I tried to get a figure for how many service men and women will be away from their families this Christmas and I couldn't even come up with a good estimate. It is certainly in the thousands. In my time in the US Navy I spent time away from family during the holidays.

So "Santa" setting up a furlough so a 3-year old girl can see her daddy seems like a good thing. Certainly a heart warming story for Mr. O'Reilly to air on his program.

The story goes that the little girl told Santa that she wanted to see her daddy for Christmas. We are led to believe that some how this Santa arranged for a furlough so the daddy could come home and see the little girl. As I watched the tape of the little girl hugging her daddy and crying "I love you daddy" my heart melted. I think it was melted by the tears that welled up in my eyes.

But as the day has worn on my mind has started thinking about all of those other men and women. The other mom's and dad's that would love nothing more than to be able to come home for Christmas. My mind wandered to all these other children who saw that segment on Foxnews and now wonders why Santa was not able to bring their mommy or daddy home. To all the other mom's and dad's who are left at home to explain why their loved one cannot be home or worse yet...why Santa didn't work a miracle for them.

I can still remember Christmas of 1980. I had gotten out of the Navy in November and this was my first Christmas as a civilian. Yes...I worked Christmas day. But it was only an 8 hour shift. I also got 2.5 times my normal pay for working that day.

To the person in the service every day is the same. Christmas, New Years or your birthday they are all the same. All that day does is brings you one day closer to the date when you get out or retire. There is no extra pay and no bonus in your stocking.

Yet these courageous men and women are there fighting for us and for our freedom. They are away from home protecting us as well as their own loved ones. They are out there placing their lives on the line so people have the ability to put up signs denigrating the Christmas holiday. They are there protecting Bill O'Reilly and his right to free speech (as well as mine and yours). They are there fighting to protect even those who deface and burn the flag they defend with honor and their lives. You may not think that is so much. But believe me it is everything.

I wish that all the men and women serving in the armed forces could be with their families this Christmas. I wish that each of them could see and hug their children and watch them open their presents Christmas morning. But that is not going to happen.

So instead I will pray for each and everyone of these brave men and women. When I see one of them I will walk up to them and thank them for their service. It is the least I can do. It is all I can do.

In this time of year where we start thinking of New Years resolutions how about that one. To pray for our soldiers safety...everyday. To pray for the families of those that have fallen...everyday. To thank a soldier or sailor every time you see one.

To all our fine service men and women...thank you so much for your sacrifice for me and for this nation. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Most of all...God bless you and keep you and please be safe.

Jonathan Sparks
US Citizen and Veteran.

No comments: