Monday, December 1, 2008

Is a death enough to wake us up?

Let us not mix words here. We are all responsible for the death of Jdimytai Damour. Each and everyone of us. Me. You. All of us.

What does it take to make a society wake up and look at what is going on around them? Will the death of a man do it? One would certainly hope so.

And how about the 2000 people that were in line to enter that Walmart store that morning, how do they feel this morning? Was the death of Mr. Damour worth all the money they saved on those Christmas gifts? I hope it was. Personally I don't think I would be able to sleep at night if I knew that I had been there in line at that store on Friday and I helped cause the death of another human being.

If that were not bad enough there was the O.K. Corral shoot out in a Toys-R-Us store in Palm Desert, California, that resulted in two men dead. Two sets of kids that will be missing a parent for Christmas. I wonder how those two women that were fighting that started that whole mess feel this morning? Was it all worth it?

Personally I think the cost that has been paid is way too high.

The celebration of Christmas is the celebration of the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ. A man that came to earth to save each and every one of us. A man who showed, by his life and death, the perfect example of love. A man who showed compassion and mercy to all he met. Now to think that this his how we celebrate his birthday. We trample some Walmart greeter and have a shoot out in a toy store.

We complain about the terrorism and killing in the world. Yet we ourselves are so unconcerned about human life that we would trample a man to death and then have the audacity to complain to the store and the police when the store has to close because of the man's death.

Yes...we are all responsible. I know some of you are reading this and saying that I'm not responsible. I was no where near that store on Friday. May be not. But rest assured we all have a role in the man's death as well as the death of the two men in Toys-R-Us. How you ask?

We have done all we can do to remove the words "Merry Christmas" from our vocabulary. We have done all we can do to remove Christ from Christmas. We have done all we can do to remove Christ from our public schools. We have done all we can do to remove any reference to God in our lives. Should we expect anything different for our actions?

Again there might be those that say that they have not taken prayer out of schools, they have not take God out of our nation, that they have not taken Christ out of Christmas. If you have sat back and watched as this has happened, as I have, then you, like me, are guilty.

I submit to you that we are reaping what we have sowed. We want God out of everything and this is what we get for our trouble.

All I can say is that we had better pray that God is the forgiving and loving God we read about in the Bible. For if not then there are 2000 people that were in a line outside of a Walmart store in Nassau County New York who might not be forgiven. Forgiven for breaking one of those Ten Commandments that we want taken down...Thou Shalt Not Kill.

My prayers go out to the family of Mr. Damour. Look at what Thanksgiving will always mean to that family from now on.

I pray for all of those 2000 people who were at that Walmart Friday morning. I pray that they may find the forgiveness that only God provides.

I pray for the families of those two men in Palm Desert and their families that they can find a way to celebrate Christmas. I pray for the wives of the two men, that they may find a way to explain to their families why it happened. That they can find a way to explain to their children why daddy isn't there this Christmas.

I pray for each and every one of us. That we can find a way to make sense of all of this. That we can finally realize what it means to take prayer away from our children, to take God out of our society. What it means to take Christ out of Christmas.

1 comment:

Smokinbeaver said...

I agree sweetheart. Folks were saying Society was so bad when you and I were in High School. The Vietnam War, protests, Blacks fighting for their rights, Hippies,etc. It was a sad time in US History, but they were still calling Christmas Christmas and there still was Christmas in the schools. That was before the athiests really got going...Christ and the Bible are part of this country's roots. I hope things swing back to a more accepting time or else lawlessness like this will become common place.

Sharon
smokinbeaver