Monday, November 24, 2008

That is why you fail

A great and classic line from Star Wars. I think now this line may apply to the gay and lesbian community.

If you have not heard the dating website eharmony has just reached a settlement in a lawsuit that was filed in New Jersey. A gay man sued the website because if excluded homosexuals.

I guess the main operative word here is settled. I wish eharmony would have fought this lawsuit and stayed with it. Only in this day and age of being politically correct I guess there is no upside to doing that.

I have blogged on the homosexual topic a couple of times over the past year. I have said that I think voting for proposition 8 in California to ban gay marriage is a mistake. I have also said that sometimes the gay community is its own worst enemy. Instead of taking little bites from the apple they seem to want the whole damned thing all at once. Admittedly this might be a little hard for me to totally understand given the fact that I am not gay (although I was in the Navy and served in submarines). I have no idea how this makes these people feel. I have friends that are gay and have explained to me in detail how all of this affects the gay community. That is probably why my stance on a lot of things relating to gays has softened over the years.

But when it comes to someones personal business you can take you PC world and toss it out the window in my book. The eharmony dating service was started by an evangelical Christian. One could see where having gays on his sight might be offensive to him. Now while he may not have taken steps to make it easy for gays to use, neither did he do anything deliberate to block them off the site. The site was established for heterosexual couples. Now they are being forced to change how their website operates just to satisfy gays. I'm sorry...but to me that is just plain wrong. There is nothing out there that blocks the gay and lesbian community from creating their own singles/dating website. In fact do a google search and you can find a bunch of them.

Recently in California there were a group of right wing Christian people who decided to protest right in the middle of a known gay area. Needless to say many of the gays that lived in the neighborhood were not happy having people coming down their street protesting. One of the residents of the area got right up in the camera and stated; "if you don't like it here why don't you just leave?" Well gay and lesbian rights activists...why don't you just leave us alone. If you don't like eharmony...don't go there. In fact start your own website. Nope...force others to conform to your way of thinking by making a business change its practices to suit what you want.

In my humble opinion this is why things such as proposition 8 in California and changes to state constitutions in other states banning gay marriage have taken hold. instead of finding your own way or setting up your own business you instead tear down or infiltrate a hetero based website. Not that they excluded you. They didn't. You just wanted the wording change I guess so you could say that you changed the world.

Well don't be surprised if this doesn't have a backlash with it. Keep attacking the evangelical Christians and you may find yourselves facing more and more states where gay marriage is banned. My suggestion is to hunker down for a while and let some of the smoke and fire blow over.

But then again...I'm not gay so I just don't understand.

No comments: