Monday, November 10, 2008

Thoughts and Prayers

Most people know that I am an ex-sailor. I served for 8+ years in the US Navy and was proud to serve on nuclear submarines.


Those of us who have served on "boats" know how tight nit a community submariners are. So it is with great sadness that I heard about those 17 civilians and 3 sailors that dies during sea trials on that Russian submarine.


I can remember how I felt when I heard the news about the loss of the Kursk. How I felt when that sailor aboard the USS San Francisco lost his life when the boat collided with an undersea mountain. And I have to admit that the San Francisco struck a nerve with me since I had barely missed an undersea mountain while serving aboard the George Washington Carver.

It matters not whether it be a warship or a research vessel, there is something special to me about those that have been under the ocean waves in a vessel that was designed to submerge and surface. All those that have served are part of a brotherhood. A very special band of brothers. A family.

So to those 20 men and their families go my thoughts and prayers.

May God bless those that are lost and comfort the those left to morn. Amen.

No comments: