Monday, April 14, 2008

Things that go BOOOOOM!!!

Good morning everyone.

How would you like to be these folks?

A family that lives 3 miles from the US Army's Picatinny Arsenal had quite a surprise. A fragment from an artillery shell crashed through their house and landed right in the middle of their daughters bed.

I found this reported on Foxnews this morning as I did my morning look at the news.

Almost every morning I sit and wonder what I am going to blog about. Usually a news story grabs me. To say that this one grabbed me would be an understatement.

How in the hell does the Army play around with a piece of ordinance that can throw shrapnel over 3 miles? No...check that...how in the hell can the US Army play around with ordinance that can throw shrapnel over three miles when there is a chance that said fragments could hit the home of a private citizen?

I am all for the US military testing ordinance but someones head needs to roll over this little blunder. Fortunately, the girl wasn't home at the time or this tragedy would have been much worse. As it was, the family cat was struck by the fragment and was killed. That has to be traumatic enough. Especially since you know the Army is not going to completely stop testing at that facility.

Someone connected with the US Army needs to explain this one. They also need to explain, in detail, what steps are taken to ensure that this NEVER happens again.

Accidents happen. I understand that. But with the technology that exists today where we can put ordnance right on the door step of the intended target I think this goes beyond an accident and into negligence on the part of the Army and those responsible for the testing.

What do you think?

No comments: