Thursday, April 24, 2008

More Government BS

As if I wasn't totally pissed off yesterday at FORMER president Carter and his apparent senility, now we have a government agency showing its collective asses to the masses.

Here now I present to you the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

There is a little micro brewery located in a little town called Weed, California. The company using a play on the town's name had a little saying on their bottle caps that has drawn the attention of the agency mentioned above. What is the saying you ask? Well it says; "Try Legal Weed." The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau said that the slogan amounts to a drug reference.

No I do not use weed in any shape or fashion. My wife has been known to use dandelion weeds as a vegetable for diner but that is the limit of our weed fascination. I work in an industry where the use of grass is illegal and getting caught on a drug test would mean an immediate dismissal. So I refrain from use of said product due to that and other personal reasons. But I am not going to ask anyone I know to refrain from its use. I just keep my distance from them to make sure I don't end up with a false positive.

But this ruling by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau is pure bullshit.

We have people writing books and websites that exploit women and children. They tell of how to go about luring some kid into a sexual relationship. There are others that tell you how to make and use explosives to kill people. There are books and websites that tell you how to plan a murder and will even assist a person in locating a professional. All of those items are illegal activities and cause a hell of a lot more harm to the public in general than a bottle cap on a beer that says something about legal weed.

The other references above have all been protected by infringing on someones first amendment rights. Never mind that fact that websites tell adult males how to have sexual contact with young boys and scare these kids for life. That is free speech. But any reference to weed will obviously damn our kids to a life of hell and hardship.

May I also mention that this cap was on the bottle of a product that is not for sale to minors. Any minor can search on and get access to websites and books of the other subjects referenced above with no limits or legal issues involved.

Now if you want my opinion (and you probably don't) let me lay it out for you.

I believe in free speech. I believe it is sacred to a point. But whenever a book, website, media, magazine, newspaper, artist, etc gives instructions for breaking the law, they you can kiss your free speech rights good fucking bye. Now this means that this bottle cap might be considered against the law under my loose definition above but if the standard is equally applied to all of these situations then so be it.

But the federal government has better things to worry about than getting up the ass of some little micro brewery for a freakin bottle cap that says Try Legal Weed.

That is my opinion..what is yours?

No comments: