Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Be Yourself

There are several items in the news over the past few days that point to the old axiom to just be yourself.


First there is all the crap that is going on in the political arena over the past few weeks. There was the Barack Obama and his pastor controversy. There was Governor Spitzer of New York. Although that might be a bad example because apparently he was being himself when he paid $4300/hour for that hooker. Now there is Hiliary Clinton and the now infamous statement about being under the threat of a sniper when landing in Bosnia. Apparently that was not true...excuse me...she misspoke.


I saw a news report on-line talking about the stuff with Mrs Clinton and I think this commentator made a very profound statement. This person basically said that politicians lie so much that they don't even notice when they are lieing any more. It is second nature to them. It was also said that most politicians try to change themselves into something that they believe will appeal to some group of voters that they have totally lost who they really are. Sometimes these changes happen in a 20 minute drive from one speaking venue to another.

If you can't get elected based in who you really are, maybe its time to look for another line of work. Hey try acting...you can change yourself from roll to roll. That should be easy for politicians. They do it all the time anyway!


Now we have the case of an 18 year old high school cheerleader in Florida who died as a result of breast implant surgery. According to the most recent news the surgery was to correct and inverted nipple and asymmetrical breasts which involves the use of implants. Something went wrong during the surgery and now we have a dead young girl and a grieving family.


Now I am not a doctor. I didn't play one on TV and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I am not an expert in the medical field. I do fancy myself s being an expert at looking at female breasts. Don't know much about inverted nipples but I can tell you that real breasts are not really a matched set. There are differences from one side to the other. Some are more obvious than others but there are differences. Just how we are put together.


So was this surgery required for the girls health or was it something she wanted to become more like the airbrushed images in magazines?

If we are just trying to have the surgery to conform to what our society and media expect the perfect male or female to look like, I think it is time to take a step back and re-evaluate what we are tyring to gain. Every time we chose to go under the knife there is a risk. We may not like it, but the fact is that people die during surgery everyday. We just need to evaluate the risk against the potential benefit and make an informed decision.

People marry every day thinking that once they are married, they can change or mold that spouse to be who they want them to be. I think most of us know that is flawed thinking.

Politicians try to change themselves to be more acceptable to get people to vote for them.

We use surgery and other techniques to change who we are.

Maybe its high time we just learn to be ourselves.

1 comment:

Eboe said...

Most people struggle to be themselves. It's a very common mistake. I have had trouble with that myself, but I think I've come to realize I can never be anyone else, so I might as well cherish what I've got. And I'm not even talking about what's in my bra. Or am I?